Every living organism, except for viruses, are made up of cells. Cells from different kingdoms have different features. A human being is made up of around a billion (million million cells.
Features found in all cells[edit | edit source]
- Cytoplasm - a jelly like substance which consists of water also proteins and other substances. Metabolic reactions take place in the cytoplasm.
- Semi-permeable membrane - through which substances may move in and out of the cell. Only certain substances may pass through, hence the semi. Cell membranes are flexible and allow cells to change shape.
- Nucleus - Contains DNA arranged as chromosomes.
Features found only in plant cells[edit | edit source]
- Cell wall - made of cellulose. it makes a plant cell more rigid.
- Chloroplasts - a jelly solution of chemicals where cell storesits food.
- Vacuole - contains cell sap - water, sugars and amino acids. Act as a storage area for plant cells. Animal cells can contain vacuoles and are never as large as the ones in plant cells.
See also[edit | edit source]
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.