Coal is a fossil fuel used in the UK. It is used most of the time, because it cannot be powered up quickly. It is thought that the supply of coal will last for longer than the other fossil fuels, possibly into the next century. However, it is possible that this estimate will be false as it is hard to estimate how long the coal will last, whether the world uses more coal, less coal, or other things that might happen in the 21st century.
Coal was formed when the Earth was more tropical, with a lot more swamps. Because of this the trees and plants would fall into the water, and form peat. The peat eventually built up and became coal from pressure and heat and other things that may have happened to the peat over millions of years.
Coal is available in countries which at one time were tropical. These include England, the USA, Russia and China.
Advantages[edit | edit source]
- It is cheap
- It is easy to transport, being a solid
- Most of the coal can be got at easily.
Disadvantages[edit | edit source]
- Some resources of coal are very hard to get at
- It is polluting the atmosphere
- It causes acid rain
- It takes a long time to load up meaning that it cannot be used when lots of electricity is needed